[CentOS] What repo did this rpm come from? rpm-VVa failures on new install

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 00:02:31 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 5:30 PM, Dave<tdbtdb+centos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is a list of files that I have not (knowingly) modified that do
> not pass rpm verification immediately after I installed centos 5.3.  I
> am not really sure what this means - are the packagers sending out
> sloppy rpms, or is something going around modifying stuff? Other than
> the texmf stuff, the list seems to consist entirely of config files.
> Does yum or rpm or something do some instant reconfiguring when a
> package gets installed? Maybe rpms have a post-install script that
> mods the config?

As you point out a file with a ' c ' is a configuration file.
Processes, daemons, etc can update these files as needed. The printcap
file gets updated by cups. The /var/log/mail/statistics file gets
updated by mail...

If you want to know exactly what the file was at first, you could do a

rpm -qf 'fill in file name here' this will tell you hat RPM owned that file.

rpm -qf /etc/printcap
setup-2.5.58-7.el5

I think texmf gets updated by a cron job

> ....L...  c /etc/pam.d/system-auth
> S.5....T  c /etc/xml/catalog
> S.5....T  c /usr/share/sgml/docbook/xmlcatalog
> S.5....T  c /etc/sysconfig/system-config-securitylevel
> .......T  c /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-firewire
> ..5....T  c /usr/lib/security/classpath.security
> S.5....T  c /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
> S.5....T  c /etc/printcap
> SM5....T  c /etc/sysconfig/iptables-config    #(mode is -rw-r--r-- 1
> root root, seem okay)
> S.5....T  c /var/log/mail/statistics
> .......T  c /etc/audit/auditd.conf
> .M......    /var/lib/texmf/ls-R
> S.5....T    /usr/share/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/builtin35.map
> S.5....T    /usr/share/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/download35.map
> [snip ... lots more texmf stuff...]
> S.5....T    /usr/share/texmf-var/web2c/pdfetex.fmt
> S.5....T    /usr/share/texmf-var/web2c/pdftex.fmt
> S.5....T    /usr/share/texmf-var/web2c/tex.fmt
>

> How would I get a 'clean' copy of some of these files to do a diff?
> Figure out what rpm they're from (rpm -qf <filename>), then what repo
> the rpm came from, then go download a copy of the rpm by hand, extract
> the file. Maybe figure out if there is a post-install script and
> whether it does something.
>
> Googling, I see lots of hits suggesting that 'yum info  <packagename>'
> will show what repo it came from. Testing this on a couple of the
> packages above, I get 'Repo      : installed'.  Does that mean that
> the rpm came from the install CD?
>
> Am I missing something, is there an easier way>?
>
> mahalo,
> Dave

Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning