[CentOS] What repo did this rpm come from? rpm-VVa failures on new install

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Sep 9 03:25:21 UTC 2009

On 09/08/2009 08:15 PM, Dave wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Stephen John Smoogen<smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
>> rpm -qf 'fill in file name here' this will tell you hat RPM owned that file.
>>
> Then how do I find the rpm? I need to figure out which repo it came
> from, then download it from the repo, then unpack it and do a diff.
>
> 'yum info  <packagename>' seems to just say  'Repo      : installed'.
> How do I get yum to tell me what repo it came from? Or should I just
> google for the rpm name and download it from any old place?

yum list <packagename>

That will tell you all the places that package can come from.

You will have to grep for the specific package number or look at the list.

Once a package in ON YOUR MACHINE, it is also in the installed repo ...
but you can also install packages by hand from NO repos.

If you use the command:

rpm -qi <packagename>

That will tell you if it is a CentOS package ... and you can see if it
signed by a CentOS key.