[CentOS] rsync followup - what did I run?

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 18:27:50 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 22:41, Scott Ehrlich <srehrlich at gmail.com> wrote:
> Many people have wondered what my rsync syntax was -
>
> [as root]: rsync -av /path/to/source me at remote-host:/path/to/dest

Is /path/to/source mounted NFS?

What happens if you run it as your own user?

> I'll be adjusting it to adapt to perform incrementals, probably with --update.

You probably don't need that, as rsync will detect if files are
identical. If you use --update it means that if the file is updated on
the destination it won't be replaced with the one in the source, which
is probably not what you want if the destination is to be used as a
backup.

> So, just need to learn why some of the .dotfiles, and other unknown
> files (unless I ran a diff) didn't successfully copy over.

Can you show what "ls -la /path/to/source" shows (considering the
.dotfiles are directly under that directory)?

Do you have any error messages when you run the rsync command?

HTH,
Filipe