[CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user

Sorin Srbu sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se
Tue Sep 29 06:50:27 UTC 2009

Behalf
>Of Marcelo M. Garcia
>Sent: Monday, September 28, 2009 11:08 PM
>To: CentOS mailing list
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user
>
>>> Sorry, but Fedora is no longer a good desktop choice. I was a Fedora
>>> user, but the distribution is pushing to far the idea of cutting edge
>>> features.
>>
>> Would you mind elaborating your view here?
>
>To be honest there isn't much to elaborate. I understand the goal Fedora
>project to test the latest software available. In this way, Fedora isn't
>for everyone. At least is not for your main system, but if you have a
>spare machine to install and play with it, it's probably a good idea. In
>my case, the rpmfusion NVIDIA driver didn't like my card, a Quadro NVS280.
>
>I there are too many updates, and sometimes they crash something. I
>remember while using Fedora 10, after disappointment with F9, after an
>update, the sound stopped to work. I didn't like the idea of Thunderbird
>beta in F 12. Also, the external drives are mounted using the uuid(?)
>name, so instead of /media/disk, appears something like
>/media/88299233ddd22, which breaks my backup/recover script. And a few
>other thinks. My general option was that the experience wasn't good, or
>put in another way, Ubuntu works better.

Uuid doesn't look like something I'd like to see anywhere soon on my
systems... I'll look into that though. I'd like to know the point with it.

>None of this is critical, but it is annoying. For me, a good
>distribuition would be something seating between Fedora and CentOS. In
>the last months I started thinking that Ubuntu feel this gap. I still
>believe that CentOS is best option for servers and technical
>workstations, but not for my laptop, a Dell XPS M1530.

Thanks for the reply. As I can see from above, your opinions basically
mirror my own with respect to Fedora.

However, my opinion is that CentOS fits almost everywhere. In fact, I'm just
finishing up a CentOS install on a Compaq Evo N610c - a portable. I've done
this before and it has worked fine with the exception where a wifi-card in
involved. This most often gives me grief.
--
/Sorin