[CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 13:06:23 UTC 2009

Sorin Srbu wrote:

>> I there are too many updates, and sometimes they crash something. I
>> remember while using Fedora 10, after disappointment with F9, after an
>> update, the sound stopped to work. I didn't like the idea of Thunderbird
>> beta in F 12. Also, the external drives are mounted using the uuid(?)
>> name, so instead of /media/disk, appears something like
>> /media/88299233ddd22, which breaks my backup/recover script. And a few
>> other thinks. My general option was that the experience wasn't good, or
>> put in another way, Ubuntu works better.
>
> Uuid doesn't look like something I'd like to see anywhere soon on my
> systems... I'll look into that though. I'd like to know the point with it.

What happens when you mount 2 otherwise identical disks/filesystems?  As might
happen if you take a disk from a default install and mount it into another
similar system?  I haven't tried with a recent fedora version, but I'd guess it
still won't work if you have the default LVM volume id from an install - they've
gotten this wrong with every label/id approach so far.

Even people who are 'no-tech' types as far as Linux goes may want to swap drives
around and copy some old data or at least look at the contents before reusing a
drive.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com