[CentOS] Repair Filesystem prompt , after inode has illegal blocks

Sun Sep 13 23:23:19 UTC 2009
McCulloch, Alan <alan.mcculloch at agresearch.co.nz>

hi All,

A fault on our SAN dropped us down to a read-only filesystem and after reboot,
we have an "Unexpected Inconsistency" and I am being instructed by the boot to run fsck manually
without -a or -p  (this was after I think processing around 15% of the filesystem)

The specific message is  "inode 27344909 has illegal blocks"

I recall running fsck some years ago on smaller and simpler systems - am broadly
familiar with what it is but have no expertise in using it to repair a filesystem.

Would be grateful for advice on whats the quickest / usual way to get us back up from
this. We do have a good backup for restoring unrecoverable files - i.e. I assume I am going
to end up  asking fsck to repair the filesystem itself and then clean up any mess that
results.

This is fsck 1.39 , Linux version 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5 , Red Hat 4.1.2-42

thanks for any tips.

Cheers

AMcC
Bioinformatics Software Engineer