[CentOS] Repair Filesystem prompt , after inode has illegal blocks

Mon Sep 14 02:23:48 UTC 2009
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> hi All,
>
> A fault on our SAN dropped us down to a read-only filesystem and after reboot,
> we have an "Unexpected Inconsistency" and I am being instructed by the boot to run fsck manually
> without -a or -p  (this was after I think processing around 15% of the filesystem)
>
> The specific message is  "inode 27344909 has illegal blocks"
>
> I recall running fsck some years ago on smaller and simpler systems - am broadly
> familiar with what it is but have no expertise in using it to repair a filesystem.
>
> Would be grateful for advice on whats the quickest / usual way to get us back up from
> this. We do have a good backup for restoring unrecoverable files - i.e. I assume I am going
> to end up  asking fsck to repair the filesystem itself and then clean up any mess that
> results.
>
> This is fsck 1.39 , Linux version 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5 , Red Hat 4.1.2-42
>
> thanks for any tips.

Just run fsck and follow the prompts.  Do this in single user mode. I
assume that this not a file system with the O/S itself on it (eg it is
not / or /usr or /var, etc.) If it ends up asking to do massive
repairs, it might be that the file system is totally fubar'ed, in which
case, doing a mkfs and doing a complete restore might be what you have
to do.  Be prepaired for this case. It is good that you have a good
backup!