[CentOS] installing 5.3 with 512M ram really slow

Tue Sep 22 12:18:30 UTC 2009
Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com>

I was installing centos 5.3 x86_64 on a sempron 2.7G machine with
512M ram. The install started off fine then REALLY SLOWED down
about 70% into install. I did have a swap space. after that it just crawled.
I tried restart the install a couple times at 512M. Same thing around 70%
the slow down.

I then put in 1G of RAM and everything zipped on past and finished fine.

Does 5.3 have minimum installation RAM requirements? I had not noticed.
Does the same apply for running?
5.2 did not seem to have any issues running in 512M that I recall.

Thanks for your comments.

jerry