[CentOS] installing 5.3 with 512M ram really slow

Tue Sep 22 12:25:24 UTC 2009
Tim Verhoeven <tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com>

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com> wrote:
> I was installing centos 5.3 x86_64 on a sempron 2.7G machine with
> 512M ram. The install started off fine then REALLY SLOWED down
> about 70% into install. I did have a swap space. after that it just crawled.
> I tried restart the install a couple times at 512M. Same thing around 70%
> the slow down.
>
> I then put in 1G of RAM and everything zipped on past and finished fine.
>
> Does 5.3 have minimum installation RAM requirements? I had not noticed.
> Does the same apply for running?
> 5.2 did not seem to have any issues running in 512M that I recall.

It depends on the amount of packages you select. A minimal install
should work with 5.3 and 512 MB of RAM.

The reason is that yum needs a lot of memory when doing dependency checking etc.

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Verhoeven - tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com - 0479 / 88 11 83

Hoping the problem  magically goes away  by ignoring it is the
(Linus Torvalds)