[CentOS] yum issue with extras repo?

Fri Sep 11 09:15:47 UTC 2009
Ralph Angenendt <ralph.angenendt at gmail.com>

On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 09:01 -0600, drew einhorn wrote:
> > This is related to the problem at hand how?
> >

> The OP has a problem resulting from mixing standard and 3rd party
> repos, and has noticed some obvious issues.

No, he doesn't. His yum hangs.

> >> Rather than trying to figure out what you have and how to fix it,
> >> it may be easier to start over an build a new system from scratch.
> >
> > This isn't Windows.
> >

> True.  But figuring out which packages came from which repo, can
> be difficult.

Sure, but that is not what this problem is about.

>  There was a hotly debated repotag battle that could
> have mitigated the problem.  The epel folks were strongly opposed.

What does that have to do with the problem at hand?

> The problem becomes really nasty, when package xyz from repo A,
> is incompatible with package xyz from repo B.

What does that have to do with the problem at hand?

> >> You can probably get the 3rd party repos to play nicer with one another
> >> by using yum-priorities.
> >>
> > This is related to the problem at hand how?
> >

> The OP was using packages from the standard repos,
> epel, and a couple other repos I never heard of for
> a reason that he did not share with us.  yum-priorities
> can be used to control which packages are installed
> from which libraries.

And yet his problem is that yum hangs. This is related to the above how?

> But since you insist.
>
> Here's the wiki page on repositiories.
>
>     http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories

I didn't insist. I just wanted to know what your mail had to do with the
problem at hand.

Ralph