[CentOS] yum issue with extras repo?

Fri Sep 11 15:23:07 UTC 2009
drew einhorn <drew.einhorn at gmail.com>

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 3:15 AM, Ralph Angenendt
<ralph.angenendt at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 09:01 -0600, drew einhorn wrote:
>> > This is related to the problem at hand how?
>> >

>> The OP has a problem resulting from mixing standard and 3rd party
>> repos, and has noticed some obvious issues.
>
> No, he doesn't. His yum hangs.

Obviously yum hangs.

It hangs because he is improperly mixing 3rd party repos
with the standard configuration.

Someone suggested just removing the 3rd repos,
and continuing on.

I don't know how long this has been going on:

1) Somewhere along the line an incompatible
package from a 3rd party repo could have been
installed as a result of his yum configuration.

Just returning to a standard repo config.
Will not uniinstall any incompatible packages.

The OP should be alert to this possibility.

It is a difficult problem to diagnose.
We do not have good tools for this.

2) Presumably the OP had a valid reason,
for mixining standard and 3rd party repos.

yum-priorities is a good, but not perfect tool
for mixing repos.  Rather than removing
all 3rd party repos the OP might want to
configure yum-priorities

--
Drew Einhorn