[CentOS] Web server in a sandbox?

Fri Sep 11 14:14:11 UTC 2009
Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>

On Friday 11 September 2009 14:34:00 Filipe Brandenburger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 09:15, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>
wrote:
> > http://docs.fedoraproject.org/documentation-guide/en_US/sn-sandbox-setup.
> >html Would it be straightforward to follow those instructions on a CentOS5
> > box?
>
> I don't think those instructions are to install MediaWiki, from what I
> see in the previous page they show how to "publish official Fedora
> Documentation Project work to the docs.fedoraproject.org website".
>
> If you want to install MediaWiki, I suggest you follow the
> instructions on the MediaWiki website:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Installation_guide
>
> I suggest you unpack the distribution under /var/www as that will
> probably save you trouble with SELinux. If you unpack it under
> /var/www/html/mediawiki you will be able to access it right away under
> http://your.server.com/mediawiki/.
>
> I suggest you go ahead and try to make it work, if you have specific
> problems or questions after that, please post them and we'll help you!
> I have been maintaining a MediaWiki installation under CentOS 5 here
> and it's been working great so far.

Filipe and Kwan -  Yes, I did realise that the fedora instructions were for
the web server, not for mediawiki.  If I have understood Felipe aright,
installing mediawiki under /var/www/etc will keep it in the sandboxed area -
correct?

I'm chief contributor to userbase.kde.org, and we have several issues that
need sysadmin time.  The kde sysadmins are overworked, and we are not making
progress, for a number of reasons, in getting those issues resolved.  The idea
of this is that if I can do the sysadmin role on a local installation I can
experiments safely away from the real one, and try to find working solutions,
which can then be passed to those with admin rights on the kde server.

If I succeed in setting this up I'll be very glad to get back to you for help
with specific questions, thanks.

Anne