[CentOS] Problem with raid0

Thu Sep 24 12:01:55 UTC 2009
Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.gov>

jussi at mail.com wrote on 09/24/2009 07:01 AM:
> Hey! I have big problem with my centos 5.1. I have two hard discs 500gig
> and 40gig and those are in RAID0. I would like to remowe the small 40gig
> hd and put new 500gig hd and i don't wan't raid0 anymore.

That's quite an odd asymmetric RAID setup if you really mean both drives
are in the RAID0.

> How can i copy data from 40gig hd to 500gig hd and switch 40gig hd to
> new 500gig hd?

Any way to put in the new drive without disturbing the RAID, copy data
to it, then remove the RAID setup?  If you try to remove a disk from
RAID0 you will lose it all - no redundancy in RAID0.

> Another question: Can i just copy all my files to windows laptop and if
> i wan't "backup" files?

That's possible, but you may have problems with file ownership and
permissions if you just copy files.  I'd use a tar or cpio archive on
the Windows storage.  Could then be restored to Linux, either as an
additional backup, or as an alternative to having all 3 drives on-line
as outlined above.

Phil