[CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user

Tue Sep 29 14:42:09 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 09/27/2009 02:57 PM, Drew wrote:
>> That's the rule of thumb I see applied to what goes in /srv. In a LAMP
>> box for example I'd expect to see the website(and site logs), database
>> files, and POP3/IMAP spools stored in srv directories. Machine
>> specific data like system logs and email processing spools get stored
>> in /var.
>

> well, /srv to me is served and shared storage. So anything on the
> network that isnt consumed directly by off-immediate-network clients
> using any service would end up there.
>
> To me, thats the best match for usage - most other things, maybe
> everything else, has a fairly clear guideline from the LSB. although the
> lsb specs are themselves a bit in the air. Lets see if the 3rd or 4th
> time they get something done a bit more formally.

Not likely...  Storage paths are all arbitrary and if a standard has to
make up a new location that breaks existing concepts they've already
done something wrong.  So far the LSB has been good at making up things
that nobody used before - not so good at getting everyone to agree to
change (and change again every time they change their minds).

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com