[CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user

Tue Sep 29 17:21:37 UTC 2009
Drew <drew.kay at gmail.com>

> Not likely...  Storage paths are all arbitrary and if a standard has to
> make up a new location that breaks existing concepts they've already
> done something wrong.

Times change. What worked well on Unix 20-30 years ago isn't
necessarily the best way of doing things today. Websites for example
have moved from static html on the arpanet & university sites to the
rich multimedia content we see today. Back then the idea of a website
infecting a computer was unheard of. Now an entire industry has
cropped up around protecting systems from malicious content.

> So far the LSB has been good at making up things
> that nobody used before - not so good at getting everyone to agree to
> change (and change again every time they change their minds).

I've never seen an entire industry move rapidly to adopt change unless
there are significant incentives to do so. And as the incentives for
Linux to do so are primarily "best practices" I don't expect to see a
wholesale move anytime soon.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie