[CentOS] ssh-agent

Ron Loftin reloftin at twcny.rr.com
Tue Apr 6 14:09:40 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 09:57 -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Yesterday or Friday, don't remember, I happened to be looking at my
> processes on my machine, and discovered I had a number of ssh-agents
> running (all mine), from different days. I killed all but the current
> day's.
>
> Now, I log out every single night.
>
> I checked the next day, and sure enough, the one I started the previous
> day was still running, and I could not only use ssh-add, and it worked. I
> didn't think of it this morning until just now, but tomorrow I'll log back
> in, and see if I even need to use ssh-add.
>
> If this is the case, I am not happy. This is, to me, a security hole, and
> *not* what I expected, nor what the man page seems to lead me to believe.
>
> Bug?
>
>         mark

I think that you may want some additional documentation on the use of
ssh and ssh-agent.  Try this link ( read all three parts of the
article ) and re-evaluate your conclusions.

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-keyc.html

I have been using the keychain utility referenced in this series for
several years now, and I'm pretty happy with it.  As always, YMMV.

Ron Loftin                      reloftin at twcny.rr.com

"God, root, what is difference ?"       Piter from UserFriendly