[CentOS] centos + ldap + syncrepl (push vs pull)

Thu Apr 1 18:15:43 UTC 2010
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 10:36 -0700, aurfalien at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  From what I gather, OpenLDAP on Centos 5.x pulls LDAP changes from
> central LDAP server to a secondary LDAP server.
>
> So in other words, you can have your second LDAP server pull the db
> based on either;
>
> type=refreshOnly
>
> which mean the pull interval will happen when ever you specify or;
>
> type=refreshAndPersist
>
> which mean after a pull, keep the pipe open for any changes made.
>
> Now in Ubuntu one can have there primary LDAP push the changes to all
> the secondaries.
>
> Can I somehow enable push in Centos OpenLDAP because pull seems pretty
> lame in this case.
>
> I tried but to no avail.
>
> Hope the answer isn't "Son, thats just the way it iz".
----
my reading of syncrepl matches your understanding but I'm still using
slurpd so what do I know.

You should know that the philosophy of OpenLDAP software developers is
that if you actually want to run an OpenLDAP server using newer edge
features (and syncrepl is surely one of them), then you should be
building the latest from source and not relying on distribution packages
which exist mostly for providing ldap libraries for other software.
There was a recent discussion about this very topic because
Debian/Ubuntu is using a 2.4 version that is also out of date and very
buggy where syncrepl is concerned. Obviously CentOS is using 2.3.43
which is considered out of date by OpenLDAP software developers.

Craig

believed to be clean.