[CentOS] upgrading storage on hardware RAID 10 possible?

Eero Volotinen eero.volotinen at iki.fi
Fri Aug 13 08:21:01 UTC 2010

2010/8/13 Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at softdux.com>:
> On 8/13/10, Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen at iki.fi> wrote:
>
>> How about installing new raid 10 on same machine and just migrating
>> data using rsync ?
>> after some rsync cycles, just switching to new raid 10 storage.
>>
>> --
>> Eero
>

> What do you I do with the exsting data on the same machine? No
> offence, but have you actually done this before, or just guessing?

Well, you can remove old disks after rebooting. Of course this method
requires restart of daemons and rebooting is recommended.
(remember to turn off disk fsck to avoid longer downtime ..)

I used this way to move data from disks to another. It might not be
100 procent safe, but it worked fine on my systems.

see also: http://www.linuxjournal.com/magazine/hack-and-migrate-new-hard-drive

--
Eero