[CentOS] upgrading storage on hardware RAID 10 possible?

John Doe jdmls at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 13 09:45:01 UTC 2010

From: Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

> Can anyone please tell me, from experience, if it's possible  to
> upgrade the hard drives in a RAID 10 system from 250GB HDD's to 500GB
> /  750GB HDD's, while the server is running? The server runs CentOS  5.5
> x64.
> Our hardware vendors simply always say no, so we never  actually tried
> doing this.
> So, I'm wondering,  is it possible (and safe) to upgrade the existing
> drives to larger drives in  a running server?

When you said "we never  actually tried"... tried what exactly?
It depends... on your RAID ctrl of course...
By example, with HP SmartArrays, you should be able to unplug a disk, plug a
bigger one and let it rebuild.
Rinse and repeat for all the disks.
Then, you can expand the array...
Although I did not try it so far.