[CentOS] Need tip on an inexpensive printer for college student using CentOS 5.5

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Aug 17 14:38:33 UTC 2010

> I noticed someone mentioned HP OfficeJet's.
> I have a J4580, which is not supported under Centos-5.5.
> (In fact, very few OfficeJet's seem to be supported.)
>
> However, Dag Wieers pointed out that one has to install
> the latest hplip (together with hpijs and libsane)
> from <http://packages.sw.be/hplip/>.
>
> I did this, and find the OfficeJet works perfectly now
> under CentOS.

Yes, HP *InkJets* need 'bleeding edge' 'drivers' (which are really just
means that the additional model *names* have been added to the
'driver'), along with the needed .ppd files for the new printers.  I
don't think the new printers require any new actual *code* -- they all
use the same basic raster format and the same basic driver protocol
(they all use the same GS ijs rasterizer).

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933