[CentOS] odd situation slightly off topic (sending file descriptors to another process)

Thu Aug 19 19:45:04 UTC 2010
Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com>

I have coded up the standard sendfd() and recvfd() for linux to send and
recv file descriptors.
seems to work
(http://book.chinaunix.net/special/ebook/addisonWesley/APUE2/0201433079/ch17lev1sec4.html)
however when I recvfd() my number of open file descriptors bumps by 2
and not 1. (using lsof -p X | wc -l)

I am not sure why the count jumps by 2 and not 1. The sendfd() is just
sending a socket descriptor.
If I close() the provided descriptor it only closes 1 handle (again
using lsof above).

So my recvfd() is giving me 2 but when I close() I only drop 1 and not
2. Something is not in alignment
and just wondering if someone can shed some light on this. Thanks.

Jerry