[CentOS] who uses Lustre in production with virtual machines?

Thu Aug 5 15:24:51 UTC 2010
JohnS <jses27 at gmail.com>

On Thu, 2010-08-05 at 11:04 -0400, Todd Denniston wrote:
> You speak of transactions in a way that makes me think you are dealing with databases.
> If this is the case, then I suggest you take a few searches over to the drbd archives** and look for
> database issues, IIRC in some cases you are better off (speed and admin understanding/sanity)
> letting the database's built in replication handle the server to server database transactional sync
> than to trust a file system or even drbd to do it, because  the db engine can/will make sure the
> backup db server ALSO has the data before reporting the transaction done.
> Not saying that having the DB on top of gluster or DRBD too would be bad, just suggesting that you
> may want to have the DB backed by something that fully understands the transactions.
---
Nice analogy have you ever done this?  Have you done this with separate
Read Write DBs?  How about streaming to a file (constant backup).  The
OP is talking about virtual machine images....

John