[CentOS] who uses Lustre in production with virtual machines?

Thu Aug 5 15:34:18 UTC 2010
Todd Denniston <Todd.Denniston at tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil>

JohnS wrote, On 08/05/2010 11:24 AM:
> On Thu, 2010-08-05 at 11:04 -0400, Todd Denniston wrote:
>> You speak of transactions in a way that makes me think you are dealing with databases.
>> If this is the case, then I suggest you take a few searches over to the drbd archives** and look for
>> database issues, IIRC ...
>> Not saying that having the DB on top of gluster or DRBD too would be bad, just suggesting that you
>> may want to have the DB backed by something that fully understands the transactions.
> ---
> Nice analogy have you ever done this?  Have you done this with separate
> Read Write DBs?  How about streaming to a file (constant backup).  The
> OP is talking about virtual machine images....

The reason I suggested the googleing (a few searches) in the drbd list, is that I have _read_ the
discussions on the list, and Recalled that some found it more appropriate for the DB to do the work.
I on the other hand have fortunately only been an observer of the discussions, not a participant,
nor a user of the ideas. i.e. I only have the metadata that there have been some good (well reasoned
and polite) discussions of database replication on that list, which I believe would apply equally to
a DB on DRBD and to a DB on a replicating file system.

--
Todd Denniston