[CentOS] Need tip on an inexpensive printer for college student using CentOS 5.5

Mon Aug 16 23:54:26 UTC 2010
Bob McConnell <rmcconne at lightlink.com>

John R Pierce wrote:
>  On 08/16/10 4:06 PM, Bob McConnell wrote:
>>
>> Many of the low end HP laser printers have Postscript built in, so Linux
>> can talk directly to them. Otherwise, I use CUPS with Gutenprint to do
>> the translation. If you can stretch the budget, even the CP1518ni Color
>> Laserjet is often available for less then $300. After you factor in the
>> cost of ink vs. toner, the laser comes out costing less in the long run.
>
> USB printers are more likely to require special drivers.  Ethernet
> printers less likely.
>
> However...   Many campuses have restrictions on attaching ethernet
> devices, like the CSU campus my kid goes to, you have to register your
> laptop or PC by its MAC address, you can't connect a switch or anything
> else to the dorm ethernet jacks, just one PC/laptop per port (and they
> have one port per bunk in the dorms).   Under these conditions, using an
> ethernet printer would be problematic, and require disconnecting the
> computer from the 'house' network, and plugging it directly into the
> printer, likely with a crossover cable, and reconfiguring the network,
> yada yada.    blah!

I wonder if that is because they are charging by the page for printer
and copier use. They don't want students to come in and bypass the fee
based services.

Yes, I know they claim it is a security issue. But as long as they allow
MS-Windows systems on their network, I am not going to believe them.

Bob McConnell