[CentOS] Need tip on an inexpensive printer for college student using CentOS 5.5

Tue Aug 24 11:28:13 UTC 2010
David McGuffey <davidmcguffey at verizon.net>

On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 22:06 -0400, David McGuffey wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 16:30 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> > On 08/16/10 4:23 PM, Utt, Lyle wrote:
> > > I run a Brother HL-2040 by usb cable at home.
> > > Works fine out of the box.
> >
> > and its replacement HL-2140 is $79 at Amazon
> > http://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-2140-Personal-Laser-Printer/dp/B0010Z1W06
> > has linux CUPS and LPR drivers
> > http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/index.html
> > and uses the same TN-360 2500 page toners as my MFC...
> >

> After reading numerous responses and checking with "linuxprinting" (now
> "openprinting") I'll probably try to find a Brother B&W laser and avoid
> the inkjet models.
>
> The boy has in the past, saved the files to a USB stick, gone to a
> campus computer lab (they are in nearly every building these days), and
> printed there.  Since he lives off-campus, that is about the same PITA
> as rebooting to Win7 and using MS Office to print the document(s).
>
> The low-end Cannon printer he has came bundled with the laptop through
> the campus bookstore (his freshman year). Hind-sight is always 20-20,
> and knowing what I know now, I would not have allowed him to purchase
> the bundle.  The younger son (2 years behind) went to school with a Mac,
> no printer, and prints from the campus network.
>
> Thanks to all who responded.

Ended up with a Brother HL-2170W.  Downloaded the PPD file and put it in
the right place, and it "just worked" with CUPS on the usb cable.

Thanks again...and this is a reminder why the CentOS mailing list is
such a good deal.

Dave M