[CentOS] display issue after installing centos 5.5 on hp probook 4420s

Wed Dec 8 00:37:52 UTC 2010
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Agnello George <agnello.dsouza at gmail.com> wrote:

> HI
>
> I was just assigned a laptop with a pre install windows 7 in it. I decide to
> dual boot this server with cent os 5.5 , i did a "linux text " at the boot
> prompt as anaconda was not able to display the graphis screen ( it was
> barely viable ) . The installation happened perfect , but when i start x
> windows " startx" or init3 , i can barely see the display. I dont know where
> the issue lies , what module do i need to load .The display is barely
> visible .
>
> Thanks for all the help !!

Have you installed, and run "system-config-display"? Unless the
hardware was successfully configured at install time, which it
obviously was not due to the difficulties you had with the graphical
installation, your /etc/X11/xorg.conf or similar configuration files
are not well configured.

Find out the resolution of your laptop display screen, be sure to
select an LCD screeen of the matching size, and see how it goes. If
you have an NVidia chipset, you may need to install NVidia's drivers
for best performance, but this should get you started.