[CentOS] Clustering

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Thu Feb 4 22:57:37 UTC 2010

Bo Lynch wrote:

> Right know we have about 30 or so linux servers scattered through out or
> district. Was looking at ways of consolidating and some sort of redundancy
> would be nice.
> Will clustering not work with certain apps? We have a couple mysql dbases,
> oracle database, smb shares, nfs, email, and web servers.

Maybe your looking for putting them in a virtual environment,
to cluster applications like that is fairly complex, Oracle has it's
own clustering(RAC), MySQL has clustering(with some potentially serious
limitations depending on your DB size), NFS clustering is yet another
animal, and samba clustering, well CIFS is a stateful protocol so
there really isn't a good way to do clustering there at least with
generic samba, that I'm aware of, if a server fails the clients
connected to it will lose their connection and potentially data if
they happened to be writing at the time.

In any case it sounds like clustering isn't want your looking for, I
would look towards putting the systems in VMs with HA shared storage
if you want to consolidate and provide high availability.

nate