[CentOS] creating partitions on a 2.7TB drive

Tim Shubitz tshubitz at mac.com
Tue Feb 23 15:48:33 UTC 2010

On Feb 23, 2010, at 9:38 AM, Khusro Jaleel wrote:

> I am trying to configure 2 identical servers, both are Dell Poweredge 2970 machines with 6 disks in them configured as a RAID 5 with one hotspare, and both give me 2.726TB of space after the RAID 5 is configured. There are slight differences between the BIOS versions and Firmware versions of the LSI disk controller, etc but I'm not sure that matters in this case.

I had this exact issue with the exact hardware and setup you describe above.

> So what is going on here?

I believe that the issue is with the Anaconda.

> Is the Ubuntu parted somehow buggy and allowing me to do something dangerous that I will regret later, or can I just ignore the label setting in parted and continue to setup Server "B" the same as "A" and hope for the best?
>
> I would appreciate any insights.

Here is what I ended up doing...

In the hardware RAID controller I setup a "virtual drive" of 50GB and another virtual drive made from the remaining space.

Here is a nice ASCII description of the RAID setup.

0 - 750GB SATA --- Global Hot spare

1 - 750GB SATA ----\
2 - 750GB SATA -----\
3 - 750GB SATA ------> RAID 5 == ~2.7 TB
4 - 750GB SATA -----/
5 - 750GB SATA ----/

VD = Virtual Disk

VD 0 (sda) - 50GB (boot volume [/boot, /, /home, /tmp, etc.])
VD 1 (sdb) - <remaining space> ("data" storage, /var)

After saving those changes within the RAID controller I then booted the CentOS 5.4 x86_64 installer and installed away.

Hope that helps.

- tim