[CentOS] What to backup?

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at bludgeon.org
Tue Feb 23 23:56:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 03:48:24PM -0800, Slack-Moehrle wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am now working on a plan of what to backup from various servers
> that I have running
>
> I run Apache, so httpd.conf and /var/www/html
>
> I run Zimbra currently, so /opt/zimbra/store, /opt/zimbra/my.cnf and
> /opt/zimbra/db/
>
> I run MySQL, so /etc/my.cnf and /var/lib/mysql

Might not be a bad idea to back up all of /etc.  I'm not familiar with
Zimbra, so you should refer to their documentation to make sure just
copying their "db" files is sufficient.

> Can I simply write a bash script to tar.gz these areas, scp them and
> put it in a cron job?

Sure.

> Is there anything special that I have to do with MySQL since it is
> running?

I'd take a look at:

  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/backup-methods.html

mysqldump works pretty well in most cases.

> If helpful, I can take what I learn and update the Wiki if there is
> not already a procedure for doing these operations on it.
>
> -Jason

Ray