[CentOS] What to backup?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Feb 24 00:06:50 UTC 2010

Slack-Moehrle wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am now working on a plan of what to backup from various servers that I have running
> I run Apache, so httpd.conf and /var/www/html
> I run Zimbra currently, so /opt/zimbra/store, /opt/zimbra/my.cnf and /opt/zimbra/db/
> I run MySQL, so /etc/my.cnf and /var/lib/mysql
> Can I simply write a bash script to tar.gz these areas, scp them and put it in a cron job?
> Is there anything special that I have to do with MySQL since it is running?

for centos apache, you'll want everything in /etc/httpd/...

and, my websites other than the default one are generally in
/home/someaccount/html as I dont like having /var get that big.

for mysql, you'll want to do a dump of your databases, and backup that
dumpfile, rather than backing up the filestore.
the only safe way to do a file level backup of a database server's
backing store is to stop the sql server, then back it up.

I dunno anything about zimbra.

you probably also want to backup your /home dirs