[CentOS] Backup solution to backup /var/spool/imap above 150GB data

Agnello George agnello.dsouza at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 03:47:42 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 1:19 AM, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> Eero Volotinen wrote:

> with
> differential
> )  .
> >> You've stated things in terms of solutions. You may possibly get better
> >> answers if you state your goal. There is some capability you are
> >> trying to achieve. Tell us what that is, and you may make more progress.
> >>
> >> IOW, what is the purpose of the backup? As one mentioned, RAID may
> >> handle your needs.
> >
> > Err.. raid is NOT backup solution.
>
> Of course not. RAID is a means to achieve availability,
> which may be his goal. Karanbir already stated a means to do
> what he seemed to want, but it seemed not to satisfy his needs.
>
> Unless the query is placed in terms of requirements and goals,
> instead of solutions, it'll be difficult to achieve satisfactory
> results.
>
> The purpose of backup is some degree of disaster recovery, and
> perhaps also migration. If that's truly his goal, then ISTM
> that Karanbir suggested a viable solution to achieving avialability
> while also performing backup, by doing on-the-fly duplication
> of the data onto another file system which can then be backed up
> at liesure.
>
> Doing so in a manner which ensures a true snapshot may be more
> difficult to achieve, while still ensuring availability. I normally
> do my backups in single user mode with all file systems mounted read
> only, except the one to receive the backup. That of course precludes
> availability during the backup procedure.
>
> That's why I would like to see what he actually wants to achieve,
> instead of how he has chosen to go about it.
>
> Mike
> --

The requirement fro backup  is not  primarily  for HDD failure , but human
error failure . In case one of our user ( eg: the COO with huge  mailbox
size has delete all his certain very important mails, and he want to recover
them , the contacts us as we are supposed to maintain his mail backup for a
week, and we should restore his backup immediately  )  this the main
requirement  for the backup  and that too on the same server different
partition .

--
Regards
Agnello D'souza