[CentOS] Backuppc-updates on CentOS

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr
Thu Feb 25 12:49:42 UTC 2010

Sorin Srbu wrote:
>> Sorin Srbu wrote on Thu, 25 Feb 2010 10:44:40 +0100:
>>
>>> Doing the same search for RHEL5 gave me two packages (one for i386 and
>>> one for x86_64);  v3.1.0-5.
>>
>> Not from Red Hat.
>
> No, from epel.

epel is just another third party repo.

>>> I thought all packages available from the prominent American upstream
> provider
>>> got a treatment from the CentOS crew?
>>
>> Red Hat doesn't provide BackupPC packages.
>
> So anything (more or less) that RH provides, we also get for CentOS while
> any extra fluff like BackupPC for CentOS, is 3rd party. Did I get that
> correct?

yes, centos (base+updates) offers exactly what's in RHEL.
Centos won't rebuild stuff that's in epel, rpmforge or any other third
party repo, these packages should work the same on rhel and centos
precisely because centos aims to be as close to rhel as possible.

Also note that 3.1.0 is the latest stable release of backuppc. This is
the version that you installed from c5-testing. It's also the same
version offered in epel. 3.1.0-5 from one repo is not necessarily better
than 3.1.0-1 from another: it's the same upstream code, the -5 is only
useful for comparing within a given repo.