[CentOS] Backup solution to backup /var/spool/imap above 150GB data

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 25 18:13:56 UTC 2010

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 02/24/2010 07:44 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> Err.. raid is NOT backup solution.
>> Neither is a snapshot in another location on the same machine.
>
> Thats not true, raid is an online setup - different location could be
> point in time, and on blockdev;s that dont share user access load. Which

I think that, without causing any more dispute, I can point out
that "backup" covers a wide range of solutions to a less broad
but still not uniquely one set of needs. No one of the means to
backup is a full solution to all the needs which "backup" satisfies.

Even when one is using the term "backup" narrowly in the sense
of "protection from disaster", there are still different kinds
of backup. For example, there is the "full disaster recovery"
or "bare metal" backup, which is intended to work with another
piece of identical hardware, starting with blank fixed storage,
and ending up with a working system which looks identical to the
original at the epoch at which the backup was made. This is
significantly different from one intended merely to restore the
user altered or created data on a machine which has been newly
installed with a compatible version of the OS, for example.

That's why one needs to know the intended use of the backup set
before making any recommendations on procedure and content of the
backup set.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.