[CentOS] Backup solution to backup /var/spool/imap above 150GB data

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Fri Feb 26 00:20:04 UTC 2010

Years ago, I set up a backup tool that wrapped rsync. It has faithfully and
reliably backed up a dozen hosts and too many TB of data to mention, offsite,
automatically saving as many backup points as disk space allows.
You're certainly welcome to try it!

It works on an "ascending powers" basis, EG:

1 day ago,
2 days ago,
4 days ago,
8 days ago,
16 days ago...
until out of disk space.

On Thursday 25 February 2010 10:22:13 am Mike McCarty wrote:
> Agnello George wrote:
> > The requirement fro backup  is not  primarily  for HDD failure , but
> > human error failure . In case one of our user ( eg: the COO with huge
> > mailbox size has delete all his certain very important mails, and he
> > want to recover them , the contacts us as we are supposed to maintain
> > his mail backup for a week, and we should restore his backup immediately
> >  )  this the main requirement  for the backup  and that too on the same
> > server different partition .
> Have you considered using a snapshot approach? By that, I mean one
> which uses hard links to create the "backup", and as files get added/
> modified, the data are copied, and links are created. Usually, one
> has a snapshot directory with something like a daily snapshot, and
> 24 hourly ones, something like that.
> Mike

believed to be clean.