[CentOS] Lightscribe

Sun Feb 7 00:05:52 UTC 2010
Robert <kerplop at sbcglobal.net>

I just bought an HP DVD Writer 1040r (as identified by k3b), an external
USB-connected CD/DVD burner.  The drive gets assigned /dev/scd0. I can
burn CDs and DVDs, read from CDs and DVDs, boot from DVDs (and, I
assume, CDs) but have been unable to use the lightscribe software to
label a disk.  I have lightscribe-1.18.11.1-0 and
lightscribeApplications-1.18.6.1-0 installed, can run the GUI at
/opt/lightscribe/Applications/SimpleLabeler/SimpleLabeler which promptly
and stubbornly tells me "--<no lightscribe drives found>--".
This IS a lightscribe drive, according to the specs, the box and the
logo on the tray.
This is on a fully update CentOS 5.4 system that has behaved very well
since I built this box (Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P) about 3-4 months ago.
This is certainly no a critical situation but having new stuff that
doesn't work is rather irksome to me.
Can anyone offer a clue or two?

Thanks!