[CentOS] Weird update problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 5 16:56:59 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 05 January 2010 16:38:01 Rob Kampen wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > For some time now updates on my CentOS box had skipped exiv2.  Yesterday
> > I decided to do something about it, so I removed it - together with
> > gwenview, digikam and, IIRC, libexiv2.  That sounded reasonable, so I
> > accepted the removal, then re-installed gwenview and digikam, which, of
> > course, pulled in the two exiv2 packages.  The version number of exiv2
> > sounded familiar, but I assumed that it would bring in the best-match
> > version, and continued.  This morning, seeing that more updates were
> > announced, I ran update again.  To my surprise, exiv2 was skipped, as
> > before.
> >
> > I'm curious as to what could be happening here.
>
> I too had this issue, although my need for exiv2 was gnome-commander.
> Thus I too removed exiv2 and its dependents. As I did not need the
> packages I have left them uninstalled. I think the issue is a change in
> the exiv2 rpm spec file in regards to libraries needed or included, thus
> as both come from rf - suggest post a request to them. HTH

Thanks.  I've mailed them.  My CentOS box spends most of its time doing quite
mundane file/print/IMAP serving.  Just occasionally I have something that
needs a bit more oomph than this laptop can manage, and I turn to the CentOS
box for those.  It's relatively rare, so this hasn't been a high priority for
me - just a niggle.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group