[CentOS] Backup server

Jussi Hirvi greenspot at greenspot.fi
Thu Jan 14 17:10:55 UTC 2010

On 14.1.2010 17:59, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Backuppc will at least send you an email when the backups have failed
> for 3 days in a row.
>
> I probably should mention the one scenario it doesn't handle very well,
> though.  If you have very large files that have frequent small changes
> (active databases, logs, unix mailboxes, etc.), backuppc will store a
> complete new copy on every run,

Another scenario that Backuppc probably does not handle well is backups
over the internet of workstations that are behind a firewall. I was
hoping the remote users could start the backup of their own workstations
using Backuppc:s web interface, but it does not seem possible (even
though I haven't tried it in practice), because Backuppc uses netbios
names to find the remote machine, and netbios names are not very well
routable, I have read. In fact I don't know how this kind of backup
service could be accomplished.

- Jussi

--
Jussi Hirvi * Green Spot
Topeliuksenkatu 15 C * 00250 Helsinki * Finland