[CentOS] Backup server

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 17:53:39 UTC 2010

On 1/14/2010 11:10 AM, Jussi Hirvi wrote:
> On 14.1.2010 17:59, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Backuppc will at least send you an email when the backups have failed
>> for 3 days in a row.
>>
>> I probably should mention the one scenario it doesn't handle very well,
>> though.  If you have very large files that have frequent small changes
>> (active databases, logs, unix mailboxes, etc.), backuppc will store a
>> complete new copy on every run,
>
> Another scenario that Backuppc probably does not handle well is backups
> over the internet of workstations that are behind a firewall. I was
> hoping the remote users could start the backup of their own workstations
> using Backuppc:s web interface, but it does not seem possible (even
> though I haven't tried it in practice), because Backuppc uses netbios
> names to find the remote machine, and netbios names are not very well
> routable, I have read. In fact I don't know how this kind of backup
> service could be accomplished.

The design expects the server to be able to be able to establish the
connection to the targets so the straightforward approach would be to
use a VPN like openvpn with a fixed private address when the tunnel is
up.  But it has been discussed on the mailing list and others have come
up with ways to do it through ssh port-forwarding with the initial
connection established from the remote side.

--
   Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com