[CentOS] 8-15 TB storage: any recommendations?

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Fri Jan 15 09:59:29 UTC 2010

On Thursday 14 January 2010, John R Pierce wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > My main issue with that kit is that the linux drivers are very basic,
> > lack most management capabilities and fail often with obscure issues.

We certainly don't see a high frequency of obscure-cciss-issues. But since no
place and/or work-load is the same I guess this difference isn't too
unexpected.

> > And, as Peter pointed out already, they are not really exposing a proper
> > scsi interface, but modeled around a really old ata stack.
>
> One thing HP has attempted to do with all their smartarray cards is
> maintain RAID volume set compatability, so you can move a raid set from
> a failed server to another raid controller that has the same interface
> even if its a different controller..

This is far from always true, for example, raid6 sets are incompatible between
quite similar controllers according to HP documentation.

/Peter