[CentOS] The directory that I am trying to clean up is huge

Kevin Krieser k_krieser at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 27 03:35:43 UTC 2010

On Jan 26, 2010, at 6:06 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On 1/25/2010 8:49 AM, Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:
>> Anas Alnaffar wrote:
>>> I tried to run this command
>>>
>>> find -name "*.access*" -mtime +2 -exec rm {} \;
>>>

>> Should have been: find ./ -name \*.access\* -mtime +2 -exec rm -f {} \;
>
> No difference.  If the path is omitted, current versions of find assume
> the current directory, and double quotes are fine for avoiding shell
> expansion of wildcards.  (But, I'm guessing the quotes were omitted on
> the command that generated the error).

In my defense, I didn't realize that there were versions of find that didn't require a starting location.  And I've tended to remain with more standard versions of commands like this, since I've had to use too many stripped down systems through the years, plus I still use several different versions of Unix like systems.  Centos 5 does work without the path, but I wonder now when that was added to Linux?  OS X doesn't support that variant.  I don't know yet about Solaris.