[CentOS] The directory that I am trying to clean up is huge

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Wed Jan 27 03:53:24 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:35 AM, Kevin Krieser wrote:

> On Jan 26, 2010, at 6:06 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> Should have been: find ./ -name \*.access\* -mtime +2 -exec rm -f {} \;
>>
>> No difference.  If the path is omitted, current versions of find assume
>> the current directory, and double quotes are fine for avoiding shell
>> expansion of wildcards.  (But, I'm guessing the quotes were omitted on
>> the command that generated the error).
>
> In my defense, I didn't realize that there were versions of find that didn't require a starting location.  And I've tended to remain with more standard versions of commands like this, since I've had to use too many stripped down systems through the years, plus I still use several different versions of Unix like systems.  Centos 5 does work without the path, but I wonder now when that was added to Linux?  OS X doesn't support that variant.  I don't know yet about Solaris.

GNU find and anything GNU has always been a bit different from
UNIX/POSIX versions. GNU is NOT UNIX after all.

However, there are cases with you would want to use GNU find over the
local UNIX version of find like on Solaris 8. Way, way faster. Of
course, the Larry Lackeys er Sun Engineers would point out that GNU find
is not doing things 'correctly.'

Now that I have gone way off topic and started bashing other operating
systems, I shall make this my last post on this thread.