[CentOS] Centos 5.4 and TYAN s4985 motherboard....

Tue Jan 5 19:57:43 UTC 2010
Thomas Harold <thomas-lists at nybeta.com>

On 1/5/2010 1:52 PM, Tom Bishop wrote:
> Yeah I know fedora core 12 works well along with ubuntu 8.04, thats what
> I am running now with later kernel, I just like to run centos on my
> production servers...neither of the latter exhibit the same condition
> that I saw with centos5.4.   I have updated the bios to the latest 2.07
> but had already loaded ubuntu 8.04 and running that right now :( since I
> needed to get something working, may wait till rhel6 comes along and
> switch when that sees the light of day, although I'm not sure when that
> might be...lol

Or RH might backport a fix into the 2.6.18 kernel.

I'm in the process of pricing out a new system for next year, but I'll
be going with a dual-CPU board.  Either the Tyan S8212 line or the S2937
(Thunder n3600T) line.  Or maybe a SuperMicro H8DA6+-F board.  I'll have
to see whether those boards use the same chipset.

(I have a 3ware 16-port SATA card that is currently the bane of my
2.6.18 kernel existence.  Horrid performance under the default 2.6.18
kernel and I haven't gotten around to building a custom kernel with the
3ware drivers.)

As for when RHEL 6 will ship... well if it's based off of FC12 which
came out back in mid-Nov, then we'll probably see RHEL in 1st half of
2010 and it'll be based on 2.6.31.  But if they decide to base off of
FC13 (which isn't scheduled until May 2010) then I'd guess late-2010.

(RHEL 5 was based on FC 6.  FC 6 shipped in late Oct 2006, RHEL 5
shipped in middle Mar 2007.)

Of course, nothing is final until it ships.  The only concrete
information from last September was that FC11 and FC12 would have tech
previews for RHEL 6.