[CentOS] 8-15 TB storage: any recommendations?

Wed Jan 6 23:15:31 UTC 2010
James A. Peltier <jpeltier at fas.sfu.ca>

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:

> Seconded. Also you can chain a couple of MD1000s at the back of the
> MD3000 to get even more storage over SAS. We have a number of those
> with the upstream OS installed but usually a single MD3000 is enough
> for what we use them for (mainly Oracle DB server or VMWare hosts). We
> tend to split the storage between two nodes and then do OCFS2.

For the cost/performance they're not too bad a unit.  We grow by about
45TB per year of Medical Imaging Data.  For each 15TB we buy a new head
node, we're up to three now, so performance to our cluster just gets
better as we go.  These are all NFS/CIFS servers on a Jumbo Frame ethernet
network.  I originally had difficulty with the MD3000 talking multipath to
the units and the only way I could get it to work reliably in an
active/active configuration was to use the provided mptsas driver which
was a cinch to install.

This was not the case with the Solaris hosts as they didn't talk RAID and
ZFS with Solaris Multi-Pathing had built in support for the devices.

--
James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.fas.sfu.ca | http://vivarium.cs.sfu.ca
           http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier
MSN     : subatomic_spam at hotmail.com

Treat your password like your toothbrush.  Don't let anybody
else use it, and get a new one every six months.
  - Clifford Stoll