[CentOS] Laptop for CentOS-5

Sat Jan 9 17:31:05 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Chris W Tucker wrote:
>> Assuming you wanted an answer... For one thing the powerbooks got 'close
>> lid, sleep, open lid wake up, grab a fresh network connection and
>> continue' right about a decade ago and the odds of that working with any
>> PC hardware/OS combination even today are pretty dismal and it makes a
>> laptop nearly useless if you can't just open it in a new location and
>> click the next link on a page within a few seconds.

> It is personal preference. I have a Macbook Pro running Fedora 12 just
> fine. It does go to sleep and wake up and reconnect with ZERO issues.

Yes, it is not impossible to make other OS/hardware combinations work, just
rare.  Some hardware doesn't even provide a 'lid open' event.  I just ran into
that with a new sony CW model.  It came with windows 7 configured to only sleep
a short time, then hibernate instead of the hybrid mode you'd obviously want for
a quick wakeup as long as possible, and it makes you hit a key or the power
button before it wakes up.

> I also have a Macbook Pro running CentOS just fine as well. However Fedora
> is a lot farther ahead driver wise and application wise. It also took
> longer to configure CentOS to a good state.

I'm not sure I'd call it running CentOS if you had to add
drivers/components/firmware to make it work.  Even on my dual-boot laptop I tend
to run the linux partiton under vmware player instead of booting into it.  One
of the things I use it for is to access linux disks through a USB ->ide/sata
adapter cable and the 2.x versions of vmware handle that well enough to be usable.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com