[CentOS] Kickstart from tagged VLAN?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 12:33:45 UTC 2010

Finnur Örn Guðmundsson wrote:
>>> I dunno how you'd get the BIOS to do a PXE boot off a vlan.
>> I remember running into this a while ago. I think most multi-layer
>> switches can have a default VLAN that untagged packets will go to. Check
>> the docs for your switch.
>>
>> Scott
> On Cisco switches it would be called "native vlan" if i remember correctly:
>
> One way of doing it (if using Cisco :):
>
> interface GigabitEthernet0/1
>   description nodeX
>   switchport trunk native vlan 100
>   switchport trunk allowed vlan 100,101
>   switchport mode trunk
>   spanning-tree portfast trunk
>   spanning-tree bpdufilter enable
> end

Doing it that way would force you to change all of your switches and hosts that
know about vlan 100 at once.  You might also add native (untagged) vlan 1 to the
existing tagged vlans - then you can set up a pxe-booting network on vlan 1 and
once things are installed you can add the tagged vlan interfaces and optionally
remove the IP address from the untagged (base eth device) interface.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com