[CentOS] Kickstart from tagged VLAN?

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Wed Jul 7 22:11:02 UTC 2010

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Kickstart from tagged VLAN?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>
Date: Friday, July 02, 2010 7:33:45 AM
> Finnur Örn Guðmundsson wrote:
>
>> On Cisco switches it would be called "native vlan" if i remember correctly:
>>
>> One way of doing it (if using Cisco :):
>>
>> interface GigabitEthernet0/1
>>   description nodeX
>>   switchport trunk native vlan 100
>>   switchport trunk allowed vlan 100,101
>>   switchport mode trunk
>>   spanning-tree portfast trunk
>>   spanning-tree bpdufilter enable
>> end
>>

> Doing it that way would force you to change all of your switches and hosts that
> know about vlan 100 at once.  You might also add native (untagged) vlan 1 to the
> existing tagged vlans - then you can set up a pxe-booting network on vlan 1 and
> once things are installed you can add the tagged vlan interfaces and optionally
> remove the IP address from the untagged (base eth device) interface.

No, these are per port settings and do not require coordinated changes
to any other switches, switch ports, or hosts. With the proposed config,
untagged data between the host and switch would be processed as VLAN 100
- unbeknownst to the host. The host would have the base eth device setup
without VLANs - this is VLAN 100. Any additional VLANs are setup as
normal eth.vlanXX devices. As was said, this is just one way of doing
things.

Personally, I might propose that PXE setup be performed on a dedicated
VLAN, once the server is setup it would then utilize a different set of
VLANs for communication.

--Blake