[CentOS] DSL battling rojter - help!

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 15:23:37 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-07-18 at 07:58 -0700, Mark wrote:

> And after that I can't reach the modem or the internet.  If I run
> ifdown eth0 and then ifup eth0, I get the 192.168.0.100 IP address
> back, and I can reach the modem, but not the internet.

Ok you getting a dhcp addy here?  Look at "system-config-network" your
not getting a proper gateway or dns entry.  You will have to probaly
define it manually as I've come to find out with many cheap routers or
either this is a bug in linux.  Use "route" to check for the DFG.

> One other question: I notice that the router claims to be 192.168.0.1,
> but so does the modem.  Could that be part of the problem, i.e.,
> should I change the router's IP address to something else?  I remember
> it was 192.168.0.2 before the fiasco....

If you Bridge the DSL to function as a Modem Only it does not matter
that goes out the window.  It's no concern when your  in Routing Mode
with the other.  But you can not have two same ips defined as your
seeing so the bridge needs one for management and the router a different
one. So one has to be changed.

John