[CentOS] Enabling X on headless server via network

Hakan Koseoglu hakan at koseoglu.org
Sun Jul 25 15:38:13 UTC 2010

Dotan,

On 25 July 2010 16:32, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> However, when I do this I get no response (no firefox window opens, no
> terminal output), even after several minutes. I figured that was
> because X is not running.
That's not the reason. You don't run X on the server for such
purposes. You already run it on your own PC. In such cases the server
runs on your PC, the client is the app you are running. I know it
sounds backward but that's the case.
Are you sure you have enough bandwidth? Try running something simple
like xterm. Also X11 forwarding might have been turned off in
sshd_config.