[CentOS] Enabling X on headless server via network

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 16:23:03 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 18:38, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan at koseoglu.org> wrote:
> Dotan,
>
> On 25 July 2010 16:32, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> However, when I do this I get no response (no firefox window opens, no
>> terminal output), even after several minutes. I figured that was
>> because X is not running.
> That's not the reason. You don't run X on the server for such
> purposes. You already run it on your own PC. In such cases the server
> runs on your PC, the client is the app you are running. I know it
> sounds backward but that's the case.

Actually, I do understand that unusual server/client relationship. But
I thought that X had to be running on the remote machine too. I am
happily corrected!

> Are you sure you have enough bandwidth? Try running something simple
> like xterm. Also X11 forwarding might have been turned off in
> sshd_config.

I don't. After 15 minutes the square of the supposed Firefox window
came up. That's painful! But therein lies the problem.

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il