[CentOS] Enabling X on headless server via network

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 23:48:49 UTC 2010

Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 19:35, Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org> wrote:
>>> Which shows it's working... but painfully slowly.  Bandwidth and especially
>>> latency is killing you.
>>>
>> Other than getting a new ISP, is there anything that I can do about the latency?
>
> I can smoothly run X over the Internet to the servers I look after only
> because I myself have a 10mbit/10mbit connection and the servers are
> either on 50mbit or 100mbit connections but that is not true for all X
> clients. X can require an incredible amount of bandwidth to be smooth.

The bandwidth isn't so much a problem with X as latency - the protocol does a
lot of synchronous handshakes that wait for a round trip before continuing to
the next step.  NX is much better because there is a proxy display to avoid
waiting for the remote handshake with caching on both ends.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com